Monday, February 24, 2014

Me Before You, Jojo Moyes

Me Before You; Jojo Moyes
Penguin Audio - 2013
 
Initially I thought that, Me Before You, was probably not my kind of book as it's been called a romance by some, but after so many positive reviews, I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to say that the audio version was wonderful and I was quickly sucked in by the story.

It' an unconventional British girl meets boy story.  The girl is 27 year old Louisa (Lou) Clark. Lou still lives at home in tight quarters with her working class parents and a sister and her young son. The family counts on Lou to bring home a paycheck to help pay the bills.  Having lost her job at a coffee shop she agrees to take a (6) month position caring for a wheelchair bound, wealthy 30-something young man named Will Traynor. It isn't later until she learns the reason she was hired for just a (6) month assignment. She immediately hates the job and wants to quit.

Will's family is extremely wealthy, and Will once had a powerful job in the banking industry and the life many could only dream of, until a motorcycle accident ended his life "as he knew it". He is now a quadriplegic.  Things get off to a rocky start for Lou and Will, but they eventually find some common ground and begin to understand each other and even look forward to seeing each other. Lou has some emotionally painful baggage she has been dealing with as well.

I don't want to say too much more, because this is just one of those stories you MUST experience for yourself.  The writing style is amazing and there is some controversial subject matter which is just so well done.  The writing tone is at times serious, other times witty or laugh out loud funny, you may even find yourself tearing up a bit. I loved the characters, Louisa is both quirky and so sympathetic and found myself cheering for her all the way. Will takes some time to warm up to, he's resentful of his situation and often angry at life and all he has been robbed of.  He is a good listener though and has a big heart as well.

This is one of those stories that is not to be missed. Read it -- you'll be so glad that you did. 

5/5 stars

The audio book (Penguin Audio) was read by a full cast of wonderful narrators: Susan Lyons, Anna Bentink, Steven Crossley, Alex Tregear, Andrew Wincott, Owen Lindsay     

22 comments:

  1. Diane, this book has been on my list for a while, and just got bumped up a few notches due to your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the audio version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful story, thanks for the review Diane and have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book club shot this one down because it's been pegged as a romance. I really wanted to read it so I added it to my list but then I won a copy!! I haven't gotten it yet but I know it's a tear jerker and that I should not read it in public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really must read Jojo Moyes. I have said that so many times lately because she is getting reviewed everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you must read The Girl You Left Behind!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great endorsement. I've started it but didn't finish it. I guess I'll pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listened to this book in my car and had to pull over at the end to compose myself. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I SO want to read this novel! I keep hearing great things about it. It has been included a couple of times in selections for my neighborhood book group, and I keep voting for it but it hasn't been selected yet! I will have to find time to read it amongst my towering TBR piles. Thanks for the great review -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Book by Book is now on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, this sounds like a book that deserves to be read right away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still not convinced it is for me, but a 5/5 from you is tipping me towards giving it a try anyway. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way about Me Before You - initially avoided it b/c I didn't think I'd like it, but finally gave in and loved it. This was one of my favorite books I read last year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I'm glad you liked it. I did too. I wouldn't call it a romance though. That said, it's very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had a similar feeling about this one too, Diane, in that I am not sure it's for me. I am pretty sure though I will end up reading it given all the praise it's gotten--including from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the tip, nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. our book club read this one and had sooooo much to talk about! lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this novel and can't wait to get my hands on the audio for a re-read. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This review was the last straw, I just bought it on kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone seems to love this book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa (my book club) discussed this one last week, they loved it, everyone is loving it.... I guess I will take the leap.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had this audio checked out of the library but didn't have a chance to listen before I had to return it :( Need to put it back on hold!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book holds a unique honour on my blog. It made my best of list a couple of years ago, and then I reread it again last year and it made my best of list again. Seeing all these reviews of it lately is making me want to read it agai, although it is very tempting to hold out and get the audio version too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aren't there just so many little things to love about this book?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.