Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Eleanor; Jason Gurley

Eleanor; Jason Gurley
Crown - 2016

Eleanor and Esmerelda Witt were identical twins with a unique closeness. The sisters even shared a special language that was theirs alone. One day a tragic accident claims the life of 6 year old Esme which tears the family apart and forever alters Eleanor's life.  Eleanor is left with a unique ability to escape to strange alternate realities.

Eleanor is such a tragic story. The characters are so hollow with grief that they seem unaware of the pain they were inflicting on others who were suffering over the same loss.  It was hard to read about Eleanor and all the emotional pain she had to endure after the loss of her twin and while caring for her alcoholic mother who was so abusive.

This is a terrific story. The writing is wonderful, the characters, even the minor ones, were so beautifully drawn --warts and all.  As I read it was easy to see why the characters did some of the things they did.  Even though I'm not a fantasy fan, I enjoyed traveling into Eleanor's alternate reality proving that sometimes reading outside of our comfort zones is a good thing. This is a book that left a lasting impression. Readers who enjoy stories about family dysfunction and mother/daughter struggles should enjoy this beautifully crafted story. 

4.5/5 stars
(review copy)


19 comments:

  1. I love books about family relationships, especially mother/daughter, so this sounds like a very interesting. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mixed feelings on this one. The writing was good but it was so depressing it got tedious after a while. I'm glad I stuck with it though; I did like the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds sad but beautiful, like the cover art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds worth checking out. On the wish list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good but oh so sad. I suppose this is one of those books that requires the right mood to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, yes, it is not a book to be read when feeling down.

      Delete
  6. This sounds so good, but very sad. Like, Melody, I imagine this is one I think I would need to read when I am in the right mood for it--but definitely worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Wendy - this should be a "right book right time" selection.

      Delete
  7. For some reason even just the cover made me feel something here. It sounds like such a heartwrenching book but is one that should be read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be reading this one soon. I don't read much fantasy either but I loved the premise of this one. That said, reading the tragic parts of the story is going to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, but the way you've described it...beautiful. Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.